Monday, March 19, 2007

Jumping and Tumbling along the 'Lunurs

The deep shrill sound of insects and barking of dogs woke me up. I was shocked when I open my eyes to see the three-quarter baked moon staring angrily at me through the hazy dark grey cloud; the cloud that hover the pine trees around like its going to swoop them away. It takes me a good five minutes before I could figure out where exactly I am. It was the sight of the two gigantic black fruit tree and vegetable fruit tree and the bamboo trees that makes me realize that I’m right in the middle of no man’s land. It’s the no man’s land which separates the garden of our neighbor and ours – it’s next to the cowshed, to be specific. I tried hard to think and reason out about what has brought me to this place, my brain’s stopped as fear has overtaken me, and like any smart eight year old kid I cover my face and went off to sleep again.

A tap on my body woke me up again and slowly open the blanket off my face and even a bigger shock when I notice a figure with long hair, dressed in black and white stripes cloak was standing right above my head with a little girl next to her. “Nah”, she said, out of fear, I tried to pull back the blanket to cover my face. “NAH”, she shouted, “wake up.” I woke up and to my surprise it was Mom. “Go and call Daddy from the shop, BD is not well.” Then I realized the little girl is my cousin. I jumped out “what time is it?” I asked, “It’s around 4.00AM”, mom said. “I wont sleep in this place again mom”, “why on earth did you sleep here in the first place?” she asked.
“Should I go right away?” I asked. “No, come home first, I will give you the knife for yourself, also you will need the cloth to wrap your hands to hold that knife”, mom said.
“Do I have to walk through that path where there are those scary thorny jungles, with a chance of meeting some blood hunters or run through the garden and climb the bamboo fences?” I asked again, “Which ever you prefer.” Mom answered.

After running for a while, I landed next to the old school compound which has been decorated for the sports day in a few hours time. I took a round of the building just to have a full glimpse of (what’s going to be) the grand occasion. Suddenly I came across a huge cylindrical object lying on the floor and it interested me. “Can I go inside”, I asked the guy standing next. “Hmmm…” he stammered, and I couldn’t hear what he said, as I was already in.

I lift, flip and turn everything that I could inside. As I move towards the other opening, I heard a loud cheer of boys and girls playing outside. I came out, “What is this?” I asked the guy standing next to it again (not sure if it’s the same guy). “It’s the tail of a plane and they call it the Helicopter”, he said. “Uhuh…” I replied, pretending that I’m acknowledging him. And the guy keeps going about the Helicopter thing, in the mean while I keep watching at the kids wearing different colors of paper hats. They keep playing among themselves and some were dancing to the loud music coming from the loud speakers tied on top of trees across different corner of the fields.

Suddenly I heard a familiar voice then I saw my sweet little BD jumping around with Dad in a sloppy field in one of the corners. I ran to them so fast that I almost tumble along the way. “Where’s Dihe?” I asked, while panting like a dog. “At home”, BD replied, with the ‘do not disturb tone’.
Immediately I jumped in and started moving and jumping up and down the slope. “Where have you been?” BD asked. “Up there”, I replied without looking at her as I was busy gyrating my body to the loud music.
Like any three year old kid, BD comes with hundred sensible questions, “Where were you last night?” she asked, without looking at me. “Sleeping”, I replied.
Before Dad gets the attention, I took her hand and run up and down the slope and tumbling along the way with dad catching her down below. We kept repeating again and again and again and for the moment I forgot about everything and just want to keep jumping and tumbling along those ‘Lunurs…

3 comments:

myprivategarden said...

hey reaves, that was Charming...
Keep it coming dude :)...keep ur stories coming..

Vix said...

That was yours???

Anonymous said...

Great work.